Thursday 12 August 2010

Just a little item to keep you going until I can write about our school review visits.

Anyone who started reading this blog from the beginning (October last year!) will know of my fascination with steel framed windows – I know now they called Brisling windows in England.  I wanted a house with windows like mine at home. ( And Nelson Mandela’s house in Soweto, the roadhouse in Nata, Botswana, and the Zambian Immigration Office at Kazangula.) 

My house here on the Barabara Maruku, Ramisheni, is very nice but the kitchen window is louvred, as are all the others in the house, and have insect screens on the outside and a thick coat of red dust on the glass and the sills.  I am not complaining mind, just commenting!  I have found one building with the 3 pane high windows that are just like mine – they are on the Magereza Club.

I cannot take a photo of the Magereza Club to show you – it is a Government Building so taking a photo is strictly forbidden.  It is the pub that is part of the Kagera region open prison!  It is used by prisoners and prison staff, I have heard it is open to the public as well.  Maybe we’ll try it sometime in the next 12 months (or maybe not).


We stopped to see this waterfall on the way home from a school visit today - isn't it lovely?




More soon, Jenny

No comments:

Post a Comment