Sunday 28 September 2014

Counting Down


In only 11 weeks I will be flying back to Australia for Christmas - I'm sure the Christmas decorations are in the shops in Australia by now!  And yes, I am counting down.

Last month the High Comm decided that, for AVIs, flights through Nairobi Airport would need special permission, given only at the beginning of the month of travel. It didn't seem sensible to wait until December 1 to confirm flights to Australia 2 weeks later so I've changed my booking to fly via Dar es Salaam instead. The very chatty and helpful Qatar airways agent who changed my flight thought I deserved a bonus for the inconvenience of it all and has given me a 40 kg luggage allowance both ways! So my Christmas shopping is in full swing.

It is hard to find handicrafts that are made here. The tourist traps are crammed with trinkets mass produced in Asia being sold by locals who swear blind they made it themselves. If so they've been very busy because I've seen the exact same articles on sale from Entebbe airport in Uganda to Hartbeesport in South Africa and five countries in between! Still, the chocolate hornbill and the helmeted Guinea Fowl (see pic below) were irresistible and they'll go in the bird collection on the mantelpiece at home in Hamilton.

The only things I'm relatively confident about being 'local' are the beaded objects sold in many women's co-operatives. Often the women are there making them. So I have bought trinket boxes, a lot of jewellery and a collar. Also sandals and a water jug cover. So, family, expect something with beads for Christmas.


 



The water jug I bought on Thursday from a venture just outside Arusha called Shanga. Disabled adults are employed there making a variety of handicrafts - textile and glassware.  The glassware is made from recycled bottles and jars. It really is beautiful work. Textiles are created on hand looms and seamstresses turn kitenge into many useful and decorative items. I think I'll be going back there for more glassware, so put in an order if you'd fancy recycled wine bottle under the tree in December.


Here is a glass shaper at Shanga making a bowl someone may get for Christmas.