Sunday 21 November 2010

It’s grasshopper season here too but that's a reason to celebrate!   The ladies at work were busy with a large bagful. I asked “Ngapi?  Milioni?” (How many? A million?) They told me “Milioni kumi!” (Ten million!)

To prepare your grasshoppers:

1. Pull off wings and legs.


2. Pour boiling water over the (still wriggling) bodies to kill them and wash them clean.  Allow them to dry.


3. Fry until crisp in hot oil.  Add salt.

They actually aren’t too bad – we had a feed of some that a young German volunteer Jana had cooked and they went quite well with a cold Serengeti!



1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenny, Thank you for sharing the wedding photos everyone looks so beautiful and the colours are just amazing, so vibrant!! Not to sure about the grasshoppers though ( I think I'll stick to hospital food for now!!!) - Mum brought in my laptop (Thanks Mum). Glad to here that you are well, you are doing a fantastic job!! Love, Amelia

    ReplyDelete