Saturday 12 July 2014

A busy week coming up!



I’ll be doing plenty of teaching in the coming week – teachers and students!

My usual weekly teaching load is four classes of Spoken English and one of tuition.  I also spend time observing and advising in other teachers’ classes. The remainder of my week is spent investigating the curriculum that is currently being taught and finding resources to support it. As the year goes on I will be looking at what modifications the curriculum needs to make it more relevant to students’ needs.

This coming week I will be teaching four lessons of Global Studies while our Belgian volunteer is climbing Mt Kilimanjaro. The current topic is African History and I will be tackling Tanzania in the Colonial Era. I have a lot to learn! I have ‘googled it up’ and put together a timeline of important events. Now I have to find a way to teach it that is possible with the limited resources available but will make the information real for the students. My biggest problem will be the language I use – I have to keep it simple as the students, especially the beginners, have fairly limited vocabularies.

Doing my lesson planning will be useful practice for the workshop I’m running on Wednesday afternoon which is on – Lesson Planning! The ‘flyer’ said

Why should we intentionally plan our lessons?
How can we plan our lessons in a way that is quick and easy?
How can we use planning to make our teaching more effective?
How can we use planning to be more accountable?

I hope I find out before Wednesday!

The Spoken English is going well.  In the week just gone the students have been devising and presenting short rôle plays on topics from other subjects – ‘Teaching the use of Microsoft Word’ from IT, ‘A visit to the doctor’ from Life Skills, ‘The Slave Market’ from Global Studies and ‘Getting the bill at a restaurant’ from mathematics. Hilarity ensues when the computers are too slow to load and the teacher becomes impatient with the students; when the would be slave owner wants to pay using M-pesa; and when the waiter tells the customer that her restaurant is too ‘classy’ to sell Ugali! We have a lot of fun and I think we are learning to speak better English.


I’ll let you know more about the workshop after Wednesday. I’m hoping that at least the

Afternoon tea provided 

will get them there and then I can keep them interested. In the meantime at least all this planning is a distraction from the disaster unfolding at the MCG this morning (my time) and I hope the head cold that has me staying inside and keeping warm with many cups of tea will be gone by Monday.