Tuesday 22 July 2014

Maasai country


On Sunday I went for a hike with the Twende Hiking Group.  I paid someone Tsh10,000/= to make me walk 16 km! I'm glad I did it.



The hike was through dry acacia woodland just outside Arusha. Just over a dozen assorted ex-pats came - Americans, Europeans and Antipodeans. We scored top marks for amusement value to the locals, especially when we stopped to picnic!


See me with the binoculars Steve!

The scenery was spectacular. The eroded gullies had so many colours in the profile - evidence of the volcanic past. Many of the gullies were being quarried for gravel and road metal.The trees along the rims had so much root exposed is was a wonder they could survive. The landscape was dotted with euphorbias and thorny acacias.





There were herds of goats whom I suspect were responsible for quite a lot of the damage to the landscape. Over grazing seemed to be a problem.  I didn't see any water where we walked but there must have been some close by. It was so dry! The gravel was quite treacherous walking downhill as my grazed palms can testify.


It was a pleasant walk - 4 hours with good company - and I certainly slept well Sunday night.