Saturday 2 August 2014

Over Eid el-Fitr


It has been a very African week full of uncertainty and frustration as the second term draws to a close.

The week began with the end of Ramadan – Eid el-Fitr – which is celebrated with two days of national holiday. The problem is the exact days of these holidays is not determined until the night before. The local religious leaders need to sight the moon and declare it’s time!

Friday last week we thought the holidays would be either Sunday and Monday or Monday and Tuesday. We called a special student assembly and told the students that Monday would be declared a school holiday and that we expected to see them all on Tuesday, after all it was exam week and they had study and preparation to do. Well planned, no?

Monday I had a lovely relaxing day – a sleep in, a bit of cooking, a stroll to the shops (Open, hmm, interesting on Eid holiday) and then the sewing of my new Pilates mat. I had a text from one of the volunteers who had arrived at work and been surprised no-one was there. “Eid”, I said, “A holiday. All back on deck tomorrow”.

The Pilates mat & book ready to learn how to do it!

Tuesday as I walked to work I thought how quiet it seemed. When I arrived at the gate to work the guard was surprised to see me. “Moslem holiday” he said. “No school”. I rang the acting director. “Yes, school is on today” she said. The guard let me in. By 8:30 we had 3 students and 4 teachers, no cook to make porridge and lunch and no idea what to do next. The guard confidently told us the students wouldn’t be in tomorrow either. “Moslem holiday, two days” he said. I worked on my exam until lunchtime then left as I needed to get it photocopied at the local duka (Tsh50/= per page; our photocopier and printer cartridge woes is a whole other blog post!)

The guard of course was right. On Wednesday about half the students arrived so the other half would be starting exams on Thursday with no prior warning and little preparation. Being Wednesday we had our weekly staff meeting. I had a rant about “communication and its importance”. If we wazungu are making a silly decision, like expecting students at school on a public holiday just because we’ve told them they should be, then tell us!

Over the weekend I had organised the rental car for when Steve comes to stay later this month. I had to go into town to make a deposit at Barclays Bank to confirm the reservation. I didn’t go Monday thinking it was a holiday. Then I couldn’t go Tuesday or Wednesday because they were holidays. I was dreading going Thursday thinking the queues would be out the door but left work at lunchtime, with the just completed Beginners Global Studies exams, to get the daladala into town to get the job done. Finally a win – the queue was short, the wait was 5 minutes, the teller said “that is possible” and it was quickly done. So I was home to mark exams by 3 o’clock. The least said about the exam results the better – some ‘standardisation’ will be needed!

Friday the Intermediates did their Global Studies exam – marking those was far more satisfying. They had the advantage of a bit more preparation and possibly whispers from the beginners about what was likely to be asked. Also their English language skills – the basis for separation into the two classes – are so much better.

Late in the day our ‘new’ photocopier arrived (second-hand – thanks AVI) and we headed off for drinks to celebrate that and to farewell a short-term volunteer whose placement has just finished. In a centre like the one where I work, and many NGO organisations, volunteers arrive and leave at an alarming rate.  Volunteer placements may be measured in weeks or months – a full year, like I am having – is quite unusual.  The volunteer who has just finished was with us for 5 weeks. In that time she has done a remarkable job teaching reproductive health to the two classes; writing her a reference based on her work here will be a joy! Another of our volunteers will be finishing up next week and we have several starting next term – one new and one a return I think. The students (and staff) will be wondering what I’m doing still here.


These two purchases made during the week made me happy - the fabric is for my sister Lyn who wants material Nelson Mandela would have worn as a shirt.  The little table is for Steve's side of the bed when he comes to stay later in the month. Prices Tsh9,000/= ($6) and Tsh27,000 ($18) respectively.